As temperatures drop, our skin needs extra hydration and pampering. Oils get a bad rap, but incorporating key oils are an effective way to treat the skin during the winter. Of course, we’re not advocating slathering cooking oil all over your face in lieu of your usual moisturizer. But certain oils can target various skin problems and are even recommended for oily skin. While it might be counter-intuitive, cleansing oils can actually attract dirt and excess sebum like a magnet and oils extracted from plants have properties that will nourish, bolster, and improve every kind of skin tone.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Rosehip seed: Full of vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, this oil is an effective anti-aging and acne treatment. Its low pH protects the skin’s natural acid mantle, making it a wonderful balancing oil.
- Jojoba: Jojoba oil closely resembles our natural sebum, making it a ideal oil to protect and hydrate.
- Raspberry seed: What doesn’t raspberry seed oil do? It’s a source of essential fatty acids and antioxidants with a high level of Vitamin E. It offers natural UV protection and can treat eczema, psoriasis, sunburn, rosacea and rashes. It has anti-aging, brightening, moisturizing and balancing properties.
- Sunflower seed: Rich in linoleic acid, this anti-inflammatory oil can maintain the skin barrier and prevent moisture loss.
- Apricot kernel: Also high in essential fatty acids, apricot kernel oil is wildly nourishing.
- Cranberry seed: With a unique balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, this lovely oil is easily absorbed into thirsty skin. It revitalizes and replenishes the skin by balancing it, improving elasticity, and fighting free radicals.
Both Biologique Recherche and Tata Harper leverage the power of oils in their products. Here are Svetlana and Brynn’s picks for protecting your skin during the colder months:
Biologique Recherche Serum T.E.W.L.: This is BR’s secret weapon against extreme temperatures and weather conditions. A genuine lipidic shield, this serum protects, repairs and replenishes lipids through its combination of jojoba, raspberry seed, sunflower seed, apricot kernel, and cranberry seed oils.
Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex: This facial oil serum is lightweight and includes rosehip seed, jojoba, and apricot kernel oil. It infuses the skin with all sorts of good tings, such as vitamins, amino acids, minerals and antioxidants. It is particularly effective on the dry, chapped, irritated patches of skin that crops up in winter. It even helps control breakouts and excess sebum!
Tata Harper Nourishing Oil Cleanser: This cleanser includes jojoba, apricot kernel, sunflower seed, and argan kernel oils, among several others. It thoroughly cleanses with a silky blend of biocompatible oils while leaving the moisture barrier intact.
Stop by the spa and discover the power of oil!